Monday, June 2, 2008

CU Has Been Nominated for a New Award by "LSU Fan"

Now, now LSU... slow down, take a breath and stop feeling like your team and the SEC gets an unfair shake on everything. Over the past couple of days since CU announced that it was going to place Fresno State on the 2011 - 2012 schedule instead of LSU, the Bengal faithful have been acting extra distraught. The comments have ranged from "these are the types of things that keep us from scheduling BCS out of conference games and why we get reamed for playing weak schedules" to wishing "all SEC teams beat those hippie bastards" to my favorite, "still, Colorado is now dominating the front running for gaping vajayjay of the year for dropping us for Fresno State. Dan Hawkins, this is Division One football brother, you don't like it, go play intramurals. And from the appearance of your scheduling, you should be playing girls lacross in Bossier, punk."

Makes me laugh every single time I read it.

First of all, nothing was really official with LSU and CU. The papers weren't signed and no one had officially committed to anything. Second, CU got a better deal. They got 2 home games from Fresno State. You would have to be stupid to not take that deal regardless of the team. Third, in all likelihood CU would probably get torched by LSU. I don't think there is a Buffs fan that would ever argue against that, even the most passionate would say that in 2011, LSU would win. That being said, "LSU fan" is acting like CU is the difference to a make or break their schedule in 2011. Hey "LSU fan", I thought the Big 12 was overrated...? Finally, I think the 2011 LSU non conference schedule with or without Colorado is in the running for this new "gaping vajayjay" award. Lets see, week 1 we have the powers of Northern Illinois coming in followed by the courageous Cougars of Houston and then the powerful waves of Tulane in the middle of the season. I can hear it now, "LSU fan" will try to rationalize the Tulane game as "trying to keep money in the state of Louisiana." Save it, Ohio State already used that one. Meanwhile, Colorado will be playing Colorado State (not scheduled yet), California and Hawaii. Not brutal but I am pretty sure no one will argue who is playing a non conference schedule closer to girls lacrosse or lacross, as "LSU fan" calls it, in 2011.

2 comments:

shelly said...

Well, LSU/Tulane is a bit of a rivalry, although far less interesting in the past two decades.

Money, of course, drives all of this. I think we can all agree it's a shame it has to be this way. But when (some) coaches get pay checks with 7 zeros, you gotta get the money somehow. I guess.

The Big 12 isn't overrated. It just isn't a tough conference anymore. Personally, I think the Big 12 gets severely out-recruited.

But then, right now noone holds up to a comparison against the SEC. Brutal.

Joshua said...

Honestly, if I ticked at anyone, I'm ticked at the LSU AD (Ausberry to name names) in that we didn't get this done on paper. The AD has constantly drawn my ire about LSU's non conference schedule. I love big matchups and the contest as much or more than winning.

I have no disagreement that a 2 for 1 with Fresno is a better deal for CU. I just really hope this series happens at some point. I have a close friend and LSU alumnus in Denver and we were really looking forward to this. That's why I hope it still happens.

Moreover, Colorado has shown willingness to schedule a tough non conference slate (UGA to wit). Some Longhorn buddies were pointing this out to me at length.

Bottom line, glad I could give you a laugh.