Monday, July 21, 2008

Breaking News...Buffs in More Trouble

And the beat continues...rivals.com is reporting that WR Markques Simas, OL Sione Tau and LB Nate Vaiomounga will all be academically ineligible based on the first term of summer school, according to the CU sports information department and rivals.com. The loss of Simas is definitely going to be a hit as his size and versatility were expected to bring big contributions to the Buffs offense this year.

Rivals is also reporting that CU's sports information department announced that two former walk-ons, DL Daniel Modrovsky and TE Kyle Tompane, have decided to leave the team.

It sounds like Simas has a lot, and I mean a lot, of growing up to do. Listen to these quotes in the Daily Camera (Note to Markques: Don't ever publicly say these things...ever):

“I think it was just my sense of urgency,” Simas said. “I start the beginning of the semester strong and then once I get a rhythm I kind of slack off a little too much. And then at the end, I try to turn it up.

“I did it in high school, but I realize I can’t do it in high school. The teachers are real strict and they really don’t know you all too well like a high school teacher would. I thought I could give them a smile or whatever and get the grade, but then I realized it doesn’t work. You can’t charm your way through college.”

Simas said there is a chance he could regain his eligibility if he can convince one of his professors to change a failing grade to an incomplete. He said that combined with a good grade in the course he is taking in the second summer session would raise his GPA to an acceptable level.

Professors usually don't get convinced of changing failing grades to incomplete. Markques also blatantly said that he convinced his high school teachers to change his grade. The only thing he should have said was that he is sorry for letting the program and his family down - that is it. You have to believe Hawkins is going to rail him for speaking to the media in such a candid manor. These sorts of comments reflect very negatively on the program and the overall attitude towards academics.

On a good note, Dave Plati said in the Daily Camera that "tight end Riar Geer is eligible to play this season after recently pleading guilty in Boulder County Court to misdemeanor assault charges stemming from a fistfight in March.

Geer was suspended from the team throughout spring ball and will have a suspension in abeyance hanging over his head, meaning he will be suspended from the team if he gets into any further trouble."

One still has to wonder, though, whether the Office of Judicial Affairs still has the final say in this matter as Coach Hawkins usually sides with them. As of a couple of days ago, we have not heard any ruling from the Affairs Office.

Something tells me that the coaching staff can't wait for the offseason to conclude...

No comments: